Wednesday 14 March 2007

Cognitive Walkthrough by Tony


I park up to the closest parking space available… saving me walking distance as I have troublesome knees. I enter the store and head straight for the brand new super duper trolley.

Task 1: Entering Store card into ShopNav device
The screen tells me to “Insert Card”, so I pull out my wallet and search out my store card. I look around for a split second, finding the place to insert the card, and put it into the device. The screen then informs me to “Enter PIN”, as I deal with a lot of cards, I change all my PIN numbers to the same number, so I don’t have any trouble remembering.

Positives• I like dealing with the Store Card and not with cash
Negatives• Another card that is clustering up my wallet• As I have to insert the card, I am worried I may forget to take it out when I leave the store

Task 2: Using the product search facility
My weekly diet consists of pizza, so it’s the first thing that I want to search for. The search button on the interface is very visible, and it then takes me to the search screen. I type in pizza, and a list of pizzas comes up, I select the 1 that I want and select the “add to shopping list” button, which consequently adds it to my personal shopping list. I also search for Tagliatelle Pasta, but I get a spelling mistake, and it does not come up… so I have to result in having to walk to the pasta section myself to find it.

Positives• I can search for a product without having to search up and down isles
Negatives• If I get a spelling mistake, my search doesn’t return results• Having to type long names of products is time consuming

Task 3: View Recommendations
After searching for pizza, there is an alternative products list displayed next to it, displaying recommendations of complementary products. I love this feature, as I am the sort of person that likes to experience new things, the recommendations offers me a whole new world of food choices that I never knew about.

Positives• Recommends complimentary foods that I never knew about.
Negatives• Sometimes it can be annoying clustering up the screen with lots of products I don’t want

Task 4: Navigate user around the store
After creating my shopping list, I select the “Confirm List” button, which then provides me with the most efficient route around the store. As an individual that finds it hard walking long distances due to my troublesome needs, I found this aspect of the device revolutionary. As I walked around, I did want to veer off sometimes just to see some offers that are down certain isles.

Positives• Saves a lot of time and walking up and down the supermarket and isles searching for my product
Negatives• Sometimes I like to walk down isles viewing something new, or any great new offers that are on

Task 5: Adding product to Trolley
Whilst following the ShopNav’s route around the supermarket, I pick up the product and place it into the trolley. The product gets automatically added to my purchase list on the device, and informs me of it, and displays the total cost of the shopping so far. I also add Coca Cola into the trolley, the device beeps, and inform me on the screen that high level of sugar content is not recommended for my high blood pressure. As a person that hasn’t taken care of himself over the years, I didn’t realise how much sugar was actually in coca cola.

Positives• Thinks its great that he can see a running total of the cost of all goods in my trolley• It’s fantastic the way the device informs me of the health issues that come with products. Its invaluable information that everybody should be educated on.
Negatives• As I am overweight, I am looking to reduce my fat content, but when I added sausages into the trolley, it didn’t highlight that fact. Maybe a system, where I could put in a maximum % of fat content, so the system could highlight the issue just as it did for the coca cola.

Task 6: Removing a product from the trolley
I subsequently remove the coca cola from the trolley, and put it back onto the shelf. The device informs me that the product has been removed from the purchase list and the running cost total is recalculated and the cost of the coke taken off.

Positives• Great that the system automatically deals with removing the product from the purchase list, so I don’t have worry about purchasing goods that I have taken out.

Task 7: Paying for shopping
After a long shop, the thing I hate most is waiting in a long shopping queue waiting to pay for my goods, also standing their waiting for the checkout person to process all my bank details and enter my PIN number. This automatic purchasing attribute is fantastic, as I walk over the RFID readers, a “Confirm Purchase” buttons pops up showing my total cost and the list of products, I press confirm and the cost is automatically billed to my bank. My shopping time has halved, and can look forward to the evening not worrying about my knees hurting as much.

Positives• I love the fact that I don’t have to wait in queues for longs times
Negatives• Not to sure about the reliability as I have never used this before. What if it charges me twice or the RFID readers fail?

Task 8: Paying for shopping by cash I walk over to the checkout and purchase my goods in the traditional way.

Positives• Tried and trusted
Negatives• Have to wait in long queues, and there’s nothing worse for my knees

No comments: